Update, 6/20/17: Rawhide loving dogs can’t catch a break this summer. The United Pet Group has announced that they are adding eight additional brands to its recall of this type of chew toy due to possible chemical contamination.
The company is now including its retail partners’ private label brands in the recall: Companio, Dentley’s, Enzadent or Dentahex, Essential Everyday, Exer-Hides, Good Lovin’ or Petco, Hill Country Fare and Priority Pet to the list of affected brands that already includes American Beefhide, Digest-eeze and Healthy Hide. A full list of products, their lot codes and identifying information can be found on the U.S Food and Drug Administration’s official announcement.
Original Story, 6/14/2017:
- United Pet Group is voluntarily recalling multiple brands of rawhide dog chew products due to potential chemical contamination.
- This contamination can cause reduced appetitive, diarrhea and vomiting in dogs
- Affected brands include American Beefhide, Digest-eeze and Healthy Hide.
Dog owners, listen up. If your pup’s favorite chew toy is a rawhide product, you may want to check the packaging. United Pet Group has voluntary recalled multiple brands of these products due to possible chemical contamination.
The affected batch was recalled after the pet group found that the rawhide chew manufacturers in Mexico, Columbia and Brazil were using a quaternary ammonium compound mixture in the process of manufacturing the items. This chemical is not approved in the U.S. for this manufacturing process and can cause an unpleasant odor as well as reduced appetitive, diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. United Pet Group has received a limited number pet illness reports based on these contaminated products.
The affected rawhide chews were sold at retail outlets as well as online in the United States and have an expiration date ranging from 6/1/2019 to 5/31/2020. The recalled brands and items are described below.
- American Beefhide: Affected products contain a lot code on the back of the packaging that starts with AH and then lists expiration dates ranging from 6/01/2019 to 5/31/2020. All package sizes and/or weights are affected. Contaminated products also contain the following contact information: Manufactured by: Salix Animal Health, LLC Deerfield Beach, FL 33442.
- Digest-eeze: Affected products contain a lot code on the back of the packaging that starts with AH, AV, A, AI, AO or AB and then lists expiration dates ranging from 6/01/2019 to 5/31/2020. All package sizes and/or weights are affected. Contaminated products also contain the following contact information: Manufactured by: Salix Animal Health, LLC Deerfield Beach, FL 33442.
- Healthy Hide: All products containing Healthy Hide brand, Healthy Hide Good-n-Fit brand, and Healthy Hide Good-n-Fun brand on the label are affected.
“We take our responsibility to pets and their owners seriously and we are continuing to investigate the cause of this problem,” the company said in a statement on the FDA’s website. “We are implementing changes across the affected manufacturing facilities in order to prevent this problem from reoccurring in the future. United Pet Group is also working with retailers to ensure that the affected products are no longer sold and removed from inventory.”
Consumers who have purchased these products are being urged to dispose of it or return it to the place of purchase or United Pet Group for a full refund. You can contact the United Pet Group consumer affairs team at 1-855-215-4962 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 PM EST.